Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Squeeze it.

In the past few weeks, we've hosted quite a few visitors at our humble home. Cousins have floated in and out of this house, and I couldn't be happier. There's nothing I love more than spending time with my family. I spend hours cleaning my home just for these happy occasions. There's no way I'll have (or my mom will have) people in the house with a messy room! You know me (swiffering my dorm weekly, etc.).

Everyone has been in that situation. You spend hours, even days cleaning your house and room, but once everyone is gone, you sit back and observe(!) the damage done. Paper plates and cups throughout the house, your movies and bedroom all disheveled. But I mean -- that's all in a day. Clean-up takes only minutes. But there is ONE thing, that I simply can't stand about having people staying over. It's the surprise left for me in the bathroom.

Okay, I know you're thinking ew. But it's not what you think. My bathroom will look pristine even after everyone's left, but it's one little habit that no one in my family has learned that has gotten my knickers in a bunch. The morning (or night) after they've left, I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, pick up the tube of toothpaste, and to my complete and utter horror, my once beautiful tube of paste has been squeezed right in the middle.


Can I stress to you just how much this annoys me? I don't think I can. I hate it, I loathe it. I just don't understand why no one can squeeze from the bottom. No 'rolling and clipping' required, like the picture suggests, but rather just a simple squeeze from the bottom -- it assures that you will get all the paste out of the tube. And, simply put, it looks better. Every time a visitor leaves our home, I have to go into the bathroom and squeeze that tube of toothpaste from the bottom again to fix the visitor's mistake. Yes, it only takes me about ten seconds to right this wrong, but it is in essence a wrong that I shouldn't HAVE to right. The void in my heart isn't unlike the one left in that sad pathetic tube of toothpaste.

And it's not just at my house. Even when I'm visiting other people's homes, the toothpaste dilemma is one that plagues me wherever I go. I keep meaning to take my OWN tube of travel toothpaste with me whenever I go somewhere, but always seem to forget.

I know what you're thinking. I know what you think of me. Am I really that obsessive? The answer, clearly, is yes. I like things a certain way, and don't want to have to tolerate anything less. If you know me at all, you know how much I spend on cosmetics and beauty products each year. And that doesn't stop at hair gels and face cream. I won't bat an eyelash at spending a little extra for that tube of designer Marvis brand toothpaste. And after spending 10-15 dollars on a tube of toothpaste, I don't want someone to tarnish that tube of toothpaste by expelling its contents improperly.

But it annoys me nonetheless. For the past few months, I've even gone so far as to have my own tube of toothpaste tucked neatly away in my bathroom for my own personal use. Yes, I have a "guest toothpaste," JUST so I won't have to use a tube of toothpaste tainted by a society who is incapable of learning basic manners.

There is no one in particular who does this that annoys me. And I know it's not just a family thing. It happens everywhere. Tubes of toothpaste are being destroyed by people all over the world, it just so happens that my examples are of my family. If YOU are a toothpaste-sinner, it is not too late to heal yourself.

Make an observation.
Stop to sing a song.
Don't wear crocs.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

but sinning feels so good.
OLD HABITS DIE HARD, ANTHONY.