Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Movie Review: Funny Girl

Last night, the rental of the night was Funny Girl (starring Barbara Streisand and Omar Sharif). I haven't seen (or at the very least, don't remember) watching any Streisand films, aside from like -- Meet the Fockers. But, she's an American Treasure, and the dvd case was an unmissable hot pink. So I thought, 'why not rent it and see what the big deal is?'

Every so often, I see a movie that I just know will go into my permanent collection and get a million views. And as most of you know, I'm a sucker for musicals. Funny Lady is about a young girl who wants to break into a world of fame as a Ziegfeld girl -- and she turns out to be a comic! And along the way she meets a man...I want to elaborate, but I don't want to give too much away.

The entire time I was watching it, though, I couldn't help but think about the first time I ever saw My Fair Lady as a young boy. The first time I saw Audrey Hepburn walk into the Ascot Opening Race scene with the elaborate black and white Cecil Beaton gown and that to-die-for hat, I was mesmerized -- it was my first glimpse into the world of old Hollywood glamor, and would eventually lead to an obsession with the lifestyle therein. Funny Girl had the clothes, the music, the lovable main character -- everything I want in a film.

I can't bring myself to return the film just yet. I may have to watch it one more time.

I was just about done with writing movie reviews for this blog. I'd rather just enjoy movies and then give you suggestions when you ask for them. But this movie was way too good not to write about.

No comments: